Rogersville (South Dansville) History
Town of Dansville
Submitted by Les Buell & Bob Glover
Also see the Dansville Forestlawn Cemetery page where most of these residents are buried.


Oliver Home circa 1880. #4 on map
#1 on map

Teacher was Esther Harvey Sleggs.  School was on Day Hill Road across the street from home of Carl and Adelia Burger and near the present fire house. The present Town office is built on the site. #3 on map. Doug Briggs holds the school door for classmates Ruth Burger and Joyce Briggs.

C. Day Hotel now the Masonic Hall. #5 on map

Rogersville General Store. #6 on map

Erwin Rawleigh pumping gas at 15.5 cents/gallon in front of the store, (Number 6 on the map) when he ran the store in the mid 1950's.
The outside of the Ladies Free Library; #7 on the map. This building was once the Cobb School in Beachville. In the late 1940's it was moved several miles to this site to become the library. 

Inside the Ladies Free Library in South Dansville, # 7 on the map is Librarian Fanny Kuter, at the table the dark haired girl is Barbara (Lander) Burger, the light haired girl on the right end of the table is Merry (yes that is spelled correctly) (Buell) Patterson.
 Fanny Kuter librarian circa 1950 at the Ladies Free Library. #7 on map

Rogersville Seminary. #8 on map
 When Phebe (Oliver) Briggs passed away, she donated her home in South Dansville/Rogersville to the DAR. (#4 on map). This photo was taken at the dedication of the marker in her honor. The marker was originally on the Southeast lawn of her home. When the DAR sold the property in the 1950's the stone was moved to the Southwest lawn of the Masonic Hall (C. Day Hotel on the Rogersville map). 


Back To Steuben County

If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 15, 2020