Addison NYSubmitted by Pam Davis
Addison is situated in the
southern part of the county, and lies upon both sides of the Canisteo
River. It is bounded north by Thurston, east by Erwin, south
by Tuscarora, and west by Woodhull and Rathbone.
|1797-1800 Oliver Miller||1810 Elisha Searles|
|1800 Brown Gillespie||1810-14 Jesse Rowley|
|1801 Abel White||1814-17 David Dickinson|
|1802 Harvey Rice||1817 John Towsley|
|1803 Jonathan Tracy||1818-1820 Martin Young|
|1805 Alpheus Cheney||1820 Isaac Santee|
|1805 Elisha Searles Þ||1821-24 Martin Young|
|1805-10 Solomon Tracy||1824-27 Jesse Rowley|
The Town Collectors From The Organization Till 1827 Were As Follows:
|1797 Lemuel Searles||1810-13 Lemuel Searles|
|1798 William Morey||1813-15 Lemuel Benham|
|1799 Reuben Searles||1815 Abel White|
|1800-3 Lemuel Searles||1816-18 Stephen Towsley|
|1803 Reuben Searles Jr.||1818-23 Hiram Averill|
|1804-9 Lemuel Searles||1823-26 William Austin|
|1809 William B. Jones||1827 Alfred Nichols|
During The Same Period The Town Elected The Following School Commissioners:
William B. Jones
Reuben Searles, Jr.
Reuben Searles Jr.
Peleg J. Cole
William H. Warner
Jacob Cole, Jr.
1802-1813 no election of school
commissioners appears in the records.
I n 1798 a bridge across the Canisteo was in construction, and it was "voted that a sign-post be erected on the north side of the river, near where the bridge is to cross the river." In 1799 " a tax of $20.00 for the support of the poor" was voted " to be paid in produce."
"Middletown, the 9th day of April, 1801. Recorded two slaves for Thomas Thissle; the age of Luce fifteen years old, the age of Will eleven years old."
The bridge referred to above was in progress in 1903, as we learn from the following:
"March, the 15th day , 1803. Jonathan Tracy, Town clerk, received one hundred and fifty dollars for the use of building a bridge in Middletown."
"February, the 22d day, 1804. Jonathan Tracy, Town Clerk, received one hundred and fifty dollars for the use of building a bridge in Middletown."
Payments were made on the work as follows:
"April 4, 1803. Paid four dollars by order of the Commissioners."
"April 27, 1803. Paid fifty dollars by order of the Commissioners."
"June 7, 1803. Paid fifty dollars by order of the Commissioners."
"July 15, 1803. Paid fifty-six dollars by order of the Commissioners."
"March 2, 1804. Paid one hundred and fifty dollars by order of the Commissioners.
Jonathan Tracy, Town Clerk
The Following, With Reference To The First Hotels, Will Be Of Interest:
"Be it remembered, that we, the Commissioners of Excise for Middletown, in the county of Steuben, have resolved and licensed the following persons to keep public inns or taverns in said Middletown for the year one thousand, eight hundred and three, namely: Elisha Searles, Elisha Gilbert, Robert Martin, Lemuel Benham; and have taken as a duty of excise, for the use of said Middletown, five dollars from each and every person so licensed, as witness our hands this 4th day of May, 1803.
In 1808 the name of the town was changed to Addison. This year a committee was appointed to select a convenient spot for a burying-ground, and it was "voted, that the committee is to get the burying-ground cleared and fenced, and all the expense is to be paid out of the money in the poor-office." It is to be presumed that there were no poor at that time to need the fund that had accumulated, and there fore it was devoted to another purpose.
In 1814 the school commissioners laid out four school districts, as follows:
"The Commissioners of Schools for the town of Addison have filed in a report at the Town Clerk's office for the division of the town into school districts, dated the 4th of February, 1814. Divisions as follows to wit: First district to be composed of all that part of the town lying between the town of Painted Post and the new dwelling-house of John Martin, and from the Canisteo bridge, so as to include the dwelling-house of Henry Tracy; the second district, from the dwelling-house of Henry Tracy to the dwelling-house of Jesse Rowley; the third district, including the dwelling-house of John Martin, to continue up the river so as to include the dwelling-house of Simeon Baker, the fourth district to continue from thence up the river to the western boundary of the town.
"Voted, That the school money be divided and paid over the different school districts, according to the number of scholars in each district, when proper trustees are chosen to receive it."
"Voted, That fifty dollars be raided by ensuing year for the use of schools."
"Voted, That the bounty on wolf's scalps be the same as last year."
The first return of a general election for members of Assembly, State Senator, and member of Congress is dated April 28, 1814, and signed by William B. Jones, Martin Young, John Towsley, and David Dickinson, inspectors of election. For Assembly, Daniel Cruger, 38 votes; Moses Van Campen, 13 votes. For Senator, Philetus Swift received 14 votes; Bennett Bucknell, 14 votes; Chauncey Loomis, 14 votes; John J. Pendergrast, 14 votes. For member of Congress, Oliver C. Comstock received 36 votes, and Evens T. Throop, 36 votes.
June 26, 1818, the fifth school district, extending on both sides of the river, "from a small run of water called Stephen Hadley's Creek to the west line of the town, "was laid out by the school commissioners.
"March 3, 1819. Voted, wolves no bounty, panthers, ditto."
In November, 1819, Vincent Matthews and John D. Higgins, of Bath, and Samuel Colegrove and Isaac Santee, of Addison, school commissioners for their respective towns, laid out school district No. 19, in Bonney's Settlement, lying partly in the town of Addison and partly in Bath. In 1822 another bridge was built across the Canisteo at Addison village. At the town-meeting in 1821 it was "voted to take one hundred dollars of the poor money, to be put with other money, for the purpose of building abridge over the Canisteo at this place."
This year "voted, that the bounty on wolves' scalps be ten dollars, and no person to be entitled to the bounty except residents of the town." "Voted, that one hundred dollars be raised for the support of schools."
* The above information was obtained from the History of Steuben County, New York, Clayton, (1879).
Back To Index
Back To Steuben County
If you have anything of
genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are
interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society,
please contact us at:
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 20, 2020