The One Hundred and Forty-First NY Volunteers
(Steuben County, New York)
Submitted by PHGS member Pam Davis

This Page is in honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Ezra Conrad, who served in Co. H. 141st NY Regt.  Above is a picture of him, and his wife, Rachel (King).

The 141st Regiment New York Volunteers was organized at Elmira during August, 1862.At the time, by the disasters of the Peninsula, it became needful to raise additional troops to beat back the defiant legions of the South, who were bent, on account of their successes, upon a general invasion of the North.The want of troops was so imminent that two full regiments were raised in a short time from the congressional district.The 107th was the first to perfect its organization, and the 141st soon followed suit.Col. S. G. Hathaway was selected from the first to be its colonel, and he added his powerful and efficient influence to hasten its organization.The maximum number of men were recruited before the last day of August, but the regiment was not ordered to the front until Sept. 15, 1862.After reaching Washington, D. C., it went into camp at Laurel, Md., to do guard duty on the railroad between Baltimore and Washington, and construct military fortifications in the vicinity of Laurel.It was relieved November 24, of the same year and ordered to Miner’s Hill, Va., and joined Gen. Cowden’s Brigade, of Abercrombie’s Division, in the defenses of Washington.Here it took its first lesson in picket duty, and perfected itself in warlike discipline and defense. 

The roster of the officers of the regiment at that time was as follows:Colonel, Samuel G. Hathaway, Jr.; Lieutenant-Colonel, James C. Beecher; Major, John W. Dininny; Adjutant, Robert M. McDowell; Surgeon, Joseph W. Robinson; Assistant Surgeons, O. S. Greenman, M. T. Babcock.

Company A. ---Captain, Charles W. Clauharty; First Lieutenant, William P. Ross; Second Lieutenant, John Strawbridge.

Company B. ---Captain, Andrew J. Compton; First Lieutenant, Stephen F. Griffith; Second Lieutenant, Robert F. Hedges.

Company C. ---Captain, Elisha G. Baldwin; First Lieutenant, James McMillan; Second Lieutenant, Robert F. Stewart.

Company D. ---Captain, Charles A. Fuller; First Lieutenant, William Merrill; Second Lieutenant, Joseph Townsend.

Company E. ---Captain, William K. Logie; First Lieutenant, John A. Schultz; Second Lieutenant, E. J. Belding.

Company F. ---Captain, Andrew J. Russell; First Lieutenant, John Barton; Second Lieutenant, Wm. L. Collins.

Company G. ---Captain, Daniel N. Aldrich; First Lieutenant, John W. Hammond; Second Lieutenant, John H. Rowley.

Company H. ---Captain, William A. Bronson; First Lieutenant, Stephen S. Roscoe; Second Lieutenant, James W. Smith.

Company I. ---Captain, E. L. Patrick; First Lieutenant, R. A. Hall; Second Lieutenant, George Tubbs.

Company K. ---Captain, Wilbur F. Tuttle; First Lieutenant, George W. Whiton; Second Lieutenant, Joseph A. Frisbie.

Companies A and B were organized in Schulyler County; Companies C, I, and K in Chemung County; Companies D, E, F, G, and H in Steuben County.

Feb. 12, 1863, the regiment moved from Miner’s Hill to Arlington Heights.At this time col. Hathaway and Lieut.-Col. Beecher resigned their respective positions.Maj. Dininny was promoted to the colonelcy.Capt. Wm. K. Logie, Company E, was advanced to be Lieutenant-Colonel, and Capt. E. L. Patrick, Company I, to be major.April 15 the division broke camp, and was sent to Suffolk, Va., to the department then commanded by ex-Governor John A. Dix.That vicinity was soon relieved of the presence of the enemy, and the regiment was not engaged in any general battle.May 3 it was ordered back, via Fortress Monroe, to West Point, up York River at the confluence of the Mattapony and Pamunkey Rivers.

Gen. Gordon now assumed command of the division, numbering eight thousand men, consisting of infantry, cavalry, and artillery.The regiment tarried three weeks, and engaged in building rifle-pits and fortifications until the command was suddenly ordered back to Yorktown.While here Col. Dininny resigned his commission, and Lieut.-Col. Logie was promoted to the vacant place, Maj. Patrick to the lieutenant-colonelcy, and Capt. Chas. W. Clauharty, Company A, senior captain, whose just rights had been hitherto ignored, was advanced to the majorship.On the 9th of June the regiment took up the march to Williamsburg.The weather on this march was exceedingly hot and dry, and the men suffered extremely from excessive heat and thirst.June 11 the march was resumed, reaching Diascund Bridge June 13, where it remained, far in advance of the rest of the troops, in a low, marshy, and unhealthy locality, and the duty was constant, onerous, and harassing.At this point the regiment had its first brush with the enemy, David McCann (Capt. McDowell’s company) being the first victim to the rebel bullets

On June 26 the regiment resumed its march to White House Landing, and joined Gen. Dix’s whole command, numbering some thirty thousand, on an expedition towards Richmond, --which should have been captured at that time, while Gen. Lee and very nearly his entire armies were invading Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania.Gordon’s Division advanced as far as Bottom Bridge, only twelve or fifteen miles from Richmond, skirmishing frequently and getting a healthy practical experience of shot and shell.Engagements were frequent between the pickets, but no general battle took place until the 8th of July, when orders were received to abandon the expedition, and the troops were transferred to the Army of the Potomac.For four or five moths, the bill of fare served up partook of so much sameness that the regiment suffered extremely in general health.Their staple diet, as well as luxuries, consisted of hard-tack, bacon and coffee, served up ad infinitum, with no ringing of the changes.July 8 it took up the line of march to Williamsburg.The severity of the Peninsular campaign was now apparent in the hard marches made, which were the immediate causes of more sickness and death in the 141st than was subsequently experienced.Rain fell in torrents for days; and in one day twenty-seven miles were gained through mud and rain, to find a watery couch at night.The weather was so hot that the men’s feet were scalded in their wet shoes and stockings.Hundreds went into Yorktown barefooted and feet blistering sore; but there would be no delay, --it was laid out to capture Lee in Maryland.The regiment left the place by transport, and proceeded direct to Frederick City, Md., arriving there July 14.The same night the whole Confederate army made a safe retreat across the Potomac.Gordon’s Division was now disbanded and the troops transferred to the 11th and 12th Corps.

The 141st was consigned to the 2d Brigade, 3d Division, 11th Corps; Gen. Howard commanding the corps, Carl Schurz the division, and Col. Krzyzanowski, the brigade.The regiment joined the corps at Berlin, Md., after three days’ march from Frederick City.July 19 it crossed the Potomac, and arrived at Warrington Junction the 25th.It remained in this locality for some time, marching, countermarching, changing camp, and drilling until September 24, when the order came to move.The 11th and 12th Corps, under the command of Gens. Howard and Slocum, both under the command of Maj._Gen. Joe Hooker, were transferred to the Army of theCumberland, then in Tennessee.The regiment arrived at Bridgeport, Ala., October 2, and went into camp on the banks of the Tennessee River, having traveled in eight days about fourteen hundred miles.Rosecrans was then shut up in Chattanooga on short rations, ---transportation being fifty miles around by wagons, while the railroad through Chattanooga Valley it was only twenty-eight miles, --the enemy holding the road and threatening beleaguered Chattanooga from the heights of Lookout Mountain.The gallant Hooker took the job to open this valley, which was accomplished in just forty-eight hours, ending with the famous moonlight “Battle of Wauhatchie” on the night of October 28.This opened the railroad nearly to Chattanooga, and the Army of the Cumberland “dubbed” Hooker’s men as the “Cracker Boys,” as it had not seen but one cracker per day for a month, until hooker’s men supplied their haversacks from their own. The 141st took part in the above action, which was fought on our side entirely by Easter troops.

Wauhatchie is about five miles from Chattanooga, at the base of Lookout Mountain.The regiment participated in the glorious battle of Lookout Mountain.The regiment participated in the glorious battle of Lookout Mountain, or the “Battle above the Clouds,” where Hooker and the 11th and 12th Corps won immortal glory.

In the mean time Gen. Grant had taken command at Chattanooga.After the pursuit of the enemy for two days, the 11th and 15th Corps were headed for Knoxville, where Longstreet was making a threatening siege; but upon the approach of Sherman and Howard with their brave troops, he beat a hasty retreat over the Virginia line for safety.This ended the march in that direction, and the regiment returned to its old camp at the base of Lookout Mountain, having in twenty-four days marched in mud and rain about three hundred miles.It remained n winter quarters until Jan. 24, 1864, when the 2d Brigade was ordered to Shell Mound, twenty-two miles from Chattanooga and six from Bridgeport, Ala., where it remained doing the usual picket duty, drilling, etc., until the 2d day of May, when it joined the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 20th Corps, --the 11th and 12th having been consolidated, forming the 20th, --under the command of Gen. Hooker, and immediately in conjunction with the armies of the Cumberland, Tennessee, and Ohio, made for Ringgold to attack the enemy. Under command of Joe Johnson.The battle of Resaca followed that of Ringgold, in which the regiment lost ninety-five men in killed and wounded.Lieut. Barber, universally respected as a Christian, and a courteous and brave officer, fell instantly killed; and several officers were wounded, and a number of non-commissioned officers and privates were killed and wounded.The 141st also fought gallantly at Dallas, Pine Mountain, and at Peach-Tree Creek, --the latter being the opening siege of Atlanta, where Col. Logie and Lieuts. Warren and Babbitt were killed.Lietu.-Col. A. J. McNett (who had been appointed to the position late in the December previous, in place of Lieut.-Col. Patrick, resigned) lost his right arm.Maj. Clauharty, Adj. Hazard, and Lieut. Shapper were severely wounded; Capt. Townsend and Lieut. Willor were slightly wounded.Half the regiment was disabled, but stood its ground nobly under Capt. Baldwin, who succeeded to the immediate command of the regiment during the slaughter of its of its officers and men, and victory continued to perch on their banners.More fighting was at hand, and Atlanta fell September 2.The 20th Corps, having previously fallen back to the Chattahoochie, as a feint to the enemy and to cover the rear of the Union army, was the first to enter Atlanta.

Lieut-Col. McNett was promoted to be colonel; Maj. Clauharty, lieutenant-colonel; Capt. Baldwin, major; Adjt. Hazard, captain; Lieut. Grey, adjutant; and four months previous, Capt. Robert M. Mc Dowell was appointed by Gen. Hooker chief of topographical engineer of the 20th Corps, on his staff.

Soon after Sherman’s “march to the sea” was begun, and, after about a six weeks’ campaign, entered the city of Savannah, Dec. 21, 1864.Jan. 17, 1865, leaving Savannah, Sherman’s resistless legions swept northward through the Carolinas towards Virginia, constantly engaged in skirmishing with the enemy, but in no general engagements until, the 17th and 19th of March, the battles of Averysboro’ and Bentonville were fought.Here, amid swamps and under every discouragement, the noble old 141st gained its last glory in sever battles; and in its last campaign marched over five hundred miles, at the most inclement season of the year.

After Johnson’s surrender the march was taken homeward from Raleigh, N. C., to Alexandria and Washington, and, May 24, participated in the great review in Washington, and soon after was mustered out of service.

The regiment reached home June 13, 1865.It was met at the depot by the committee of arrangements, who escorted it to the William Street Hospital, where with the 137th Regiment, which arrived on the same train, they were furnished with a comfortable breakfast at the hands of a corps of ladies, who had worked assiduously all night to get the entertainment ready by the time of their arrival.After heartily discussing their meal, both regiments were marched to Camp Chemung, where permission had been previously obtained for them to pitch their tents.In a short time after reaching the ground, back of the encampment of the 19th Regiment, tents were struck and everything was got in readiness for a good rest after their wearisome marches and long ride.

During the day the 141st was visited by a host of friends and acquaintances who were eager to welcome back the remaining veterans, the heroes of desperate battles and victorious campaigns.The regiment was given a distinguished reception and dinner, and a beautiful address of welcome was delivered by Hon. Stephen McDonald, in Wisner Park.

Below we give the roster of officers.The regiment numbered three hundred and eighty men when mustered out.From first to last the regiment had enlisted about twelve hundred men.

Lieutenant-Colonel, A. J. McNett, promoted to colonel, not mustered; Major, Charles W. Clauharty, promoted to lieutenant-colonel, not mustered; Adjutant, George E. Gray; Quartermaster, E. Belding; Surgeon, G. S. Beaks; Assistant Surgeon, O. S. Greenman; Assistant Surgeon, M. T. Babcock.

Company A. ---Captain, W. P. Ross; Firt Lieutentant, C. E. Coryell; Second Lieutenant, ________.

Company B. ---Captain, W. H. Bradford; First Lieutenant, J. F. Carroll; Second Lieutenant, _____ _____.

Company C. ---Captain, E. G. Baldwin, promoted to major, not mustered; First Lieutenant, Jud Griswold; Second Lieutenant, ________.

Company D. ---Captain, W. Merrill; First Lieutenant, C. Osmun; Second Lieutenant, C. H. Freeman.

Company E. ---Captain, Archie Baxter.

Company F. ---Captain, A. J. Russell; first Lieutenant, M. V. Sherwood; Second Lieutenant, L. B. Scott.

Company G. ---Captain, P. C. Mitchell; First Lieutenant, M. G. 

Shappee; Second Lieutenant, _____ _____.

Company H. ---Captain, George Tubbs; First Lieutenant, F. C. Willor; Second Lieutenant, A. Stewart.

Company I. ---Captain, R. M. Mcdowell, brevetted Major United States Volunteers; First Lieutenant, J. B. Rathbone; Second Lieutenant, William M. Ware.

Company K. --- Captain, G. L. Whiton; First Lieutenant, M. J. Hogarth; Second Lieutenant, George W. Rogers; Second Lieutenant, William H. Brown, not assigned.

The following is a list of the killed, and also of those who died of disease or wounds in the 141st Regiment, taken from its muster-out rolls in the office of the Adjutant-General at Albany.

Company A.

Charles F. Babbit, died of wounds, July 21, 1864.

James C. Burtt, died of wounds, July 26, 1864.

William W. Koons, died of wounds, Aug. 4, 1864.

Curtis J. Chamberlin, died Nov. 23, 1863.

Hiram H. Platt died May 9, 1864.

Asa Bullard, killed July 20, 1864.

Chester K. Chapman, died Dec. 6, 1863.

Delos Dimick, died July 9, 1864.

George Dalrymple, died Nov. 14, 1863.

Jackson Dickens, died June 1, 1863.

Henry B. Griffin, killed May 15, 1864.

Oscar C. Griffin, killed May 25, 1864.

Franklin C. Grant, died of wounds, Nov. 10, 1863.

John Hager, killed May 15, 1864.

Horace W. Hart, died July 14, 1863.

David McClary, died Nov. 14, 1864.

Stephen Mead, died of wounds, July 30, 1864.

Henry Miller, killed accidentally, Dec. 5, 1863.

Daniel C. Norris, died June 6, 1863.

Denet C. Prunnell, died Nov. 2, 1862.

Francis L. Royce, died June 29, 1863.

William W. Sutton, died July 2, 1863.

Charles D. Van Vleit, died April 13, 1863.

Irvin Wetherell, died April 13, 1863.

Company B.

George P. McCoy, died Oct. 13, 1862.

James O. Murray, died Jan. 25, 1863.
Henry S. Wood, died Aug. 16, 1863.

Andrew Archibald, died Aug. 5, 1863.

Louis Clark, died Dec. 5, 1863.

Ira B. Cooper, died March 9, 1864.

Gideon Ellis, died March 3, 1864.

William Francisco, died Jan. 31, 1864.

Isaiah Forrest, died Oct. 10, 1864.

Artemus F. Green, died Dec. 11, 1863.

Eaton Jones, died Dec. 29, 1864.

John Looney, died Aug. 20, 1863.

Jackson McDonald, died may 18, 1864.

Henry B. Palmer, died March 13, 1863.

William Powell, died March 19, 1964.

Edwin Libolt died Jan. 24, 1863.

Philetus Stoll, died Nov. 4, 1863.

George W. Scott, died April 20, 1864.

Myron E. Triphagen, died Oct. 29, 1863.

Wellington C. Hurd, died Oct. 19, 1863.

Mark B. Wakeman, died July 27, 1863.

Stephen Wilson, died July 15, 1864.

Manley Van Gelder, died April 29, 1864.

Charles Dennison, killed May 25, 1863.

Company C.

Wesley Breese, died Aug. 2, 1863.

Benjamin G. Thompson, killed July 20, 1864.

Isaac E. Bailey, died of wounds, Oct. 5, 1864.

Dwight Murphy, died April 4, 1864.

Elliott M. Noyes, killed May 15, 1864.

Judd Albertson, died of wounds, July 21, 1864.

William H. Allington, died of wounds, June 11, 1864.

James F. Benjamin, died of wounds, June 14, 1864.

William C. Carnrike, killed July 20, 1864.

George H. Carnrike, killed May 15, 1864.

Hiram G. Colson, died of wounds, May 16, 1864.

Gabriel N. Cooley, died July 13, 1863.

Henry L. Cartwright, died Dec. 23, 1864.

Lorenzo D. Cartwright, died March 2, 1865.

William H. Decker, died of wounds, July 21, 1864.

William Edwards, died Dec. 25, 1864.

Horace G. Edwards, killed July 20, 1864.

James Elyea, died Dec. 23, 1863.

Corydon M. Gillett, died Feb. 17, 1865.

Shoemaker Hill, died of wounds, June 6, 1864.

John C. Hanmer, died June 1, 1863.

James D. Huff, died Dec. 10, 1864.

Eli Kennedy, died Nov. 25, 1863.

Charles A. Swarthout, killed July 20, 1864.

William Stevens died of wounds, June 19, 1864.

Samuel A. Smith, died Jan. 3, 1865.

Roswell H. Sleighton, died Jan. 15, 1865.

Judson Scribner, died Jan. 16, 1865.

Francis Van Wormer, died Nov. 25, 1863.

Richard Weaver, died of wounds, Sept. 1, 1863.

Elisha Wright, died Aug. 12, 1863.

Edwin Weed, died Aug. 11, 1863.

Daniel Watts, died April 26, 1865.

Company D.

Edwin Merrill, killed May 25, 1864

John Q. Adams, died of wounds, July 27, 1864.

William Cole, died March 17, 1865.

Charles A. Haradon, died Oct. 25, 1863.

Elisha Booth, died of wounds, May 19, 1863.

Alfred Countryman, died July 19, 1863.

Henry Coburn, died Sept. 18, 1864.

Andrew Catsley, died Dec. 15, 1864.

Lionell T. De Carr, killed June 22, 1864.

William Davis, died of wounds, Oct. 8, 1864.

Israel Elliot, died Sept. 30, 1864.

Frederick Gluer, died April 13, 1864.

William F. Hubbard, died March 27, 1863.

Minor T. Millard, died Oct. 22, 1863.

Sylvanus W. Millard, died April 10, 1863.

Nicholas Revill, died Nov. 22, 1863.

George E. Stephens, died July 20, 1863.

Charles L. Satterlee, died Jan. 27, 1864.

Denis M. Stevens, died Aug. 24, 1863.

Henry Thorp, killed July 20, 1864.

Lorenzo D. Taylor, died Sept. (no date given), 1864.

Henry Williams, died Aug. 16, 1863.

William J. Wilson, died April 1, 1864.

Company E.

Chester M. Wire, died Jan. 22, 1865.

Joseph M. Dunton, died March 22, 1865.

Andrew Benneway, killed July 20, 1864.

William F. Thompson, died June 5, 1864.

Hez Fox, died Nov. 13, 1862.

Charles E. Hughes, died Aug. 9, 1863.

William S. Allen, died Nov. 17, 1863.

John K. Austin, died May 17, 1864.

Abram Carpenter, died Feb. 21, 1863.

Franklin P. Carpenter, died Jan. 18, 1864.

James Cook, died Dec. 16, 1863.

Ira C. Dowd, died Dec. 13, 1863.

John W. Evans, died June 13, 1863.

David Franklin, killed May 15, 1864.

Milo Gorton, killed May 15, 1864.

Albert F. Lynch, died Jan. 1, 1864.

Edwin Marcy, died March 2, 1863.

John G. Prouty, died March 9, 1864.

James E. Seares, died Dec. 8, 1863.

Henry W. Squires, died Feb. 12, 1864.

William C. Youmans, died of wounds, date not known.

Company F.

Amos D. Mason, died Dec. 24, 1863.

Alfred W. Bush, died Feb. 3, 1864.

John Corbett, died March __, 1864.

Orin Conderman, killed May 25, 1864.

Russell B. Carrington, died; no date given.

John Gray, died; no date given.

Samuel D. Lovelace, died Sept. __, 1864.

Alexander Maynard, died Aug. __, 1863.

George Owston, died Sept. 1, 1864.

Leander Partridge, died of wounds, Aug. 7, 1864.

Thomas Robinson, died July __, 1863.

Samuel E. Ryder, drowned June 16, 1862.

Nelson B. Root, died Aug. __, 1863.

Lyman Wellington, died Dec. 29, 1863.

Daniel O’Day, died Aug. __, 1863.

Company G.

Capt. Daniel N. Aldrich, died Aug. 11, 1863.

First Lieut. Alfred E. Barber, killed May 15, 1864.

William S. McCrea, died Sept. 21, 1864.

Andrew T. Grant, died of wounds, July 21, 1864.

Charles Kester, died July 2, 1864.

M. T. Aldrich, died Sept. 15, 1863.

Henry Blackman, died Oct. 1, 1863.

Edson L. Burr, died Jan. 6, 1864.

Jacob H. Cole, died June 16, 1864.

Burrows Cole, died June 9, 1864.

James V. Fairchild, died June 3, 1863.

Henry W. Gernon, killed July 20, 1864.

James H. hurd, died June 3, 1863.

Ira Kinney, died Nov. 3, 1863.

Oscar R. Leonger, died of wounds, Aug. 12, 1864.

John R. Miller, died May 15, 1864.

John L. Carnegie, died Jan. 25, 1865.

Martin S. Prentice, died Dec. 3, 1863.

Amos Stewart, died June 12, 1863.

George Simons, died Nov. 7, 1863.

Henry Stewart, died June 12, 1863.

Thomas Schoonoyer, killed July 20, 1864.

Hiram J. Whitehead, died of wounds, July 20, 1864.

Lyman Wright, killed May 15, 1864.

Company H.

First Lieut. Theodore M. Warren, killed July 20, 1864.

Dewitt C. Hamilton, killed May 15, 1864.

George P. Burnham, died Jan. 12, 1864.

Samuel T. Stewart, died May 24, 1863.

James W. Stewart, died Nov. 7, 1863.

Henry Abbe, died Nov. 19, 1863.

Albert E. Butler, died Aug. 6, 1864.

Thomas Crusen, died April __, 1864.

John Campbell, died May 11, 1863.

Alfred Downs, died Aug. 30, 1863.

Jacob Gress, died July 15, 1863.

Benjamin F. Greeley, died March 19, 1865.

Cassius M. Hadley, died Jan. 6, 1863.

Joseph Howland, died March __1864.

George W. Jeffers, died of wounds, May 18, 1864.

Daniel Kelly, died Feb. 21, 1864.

Palmer G. Linsay, died Aug. 21, 1864.

Jacob Norton, killed July 20, 1864.

William H. Olmstead, died Feb. __1865.

Erastus L. Preston, died Feb. 28, 1864.

Albert Pierce, died of wounds July 24, 1864.

Clark Stewart, died Nov. 29, 1863.

William Vaughan, died Dec. 14, 1864.

Benjamin S. Welch, died Dec. 10, 1864.

Company I.

William T. Cary, died of wounds, May 31, 1864.

Cornelius Doolittle, died Feb. 17, 1864.

George Brees, killed July 20, 1864.

Ezra G. Mallory, died Nov. 24, 1863.

Levi G. Ellis, died Jan. 31, 1865.

George W. Griffin, died March 16, 1865.

George Haxton, died Sept. 27, 1864.

George Hinches, died April 3, 1865.

John J. Jenkins, died Dec. 29, 1863.

Daniel Luther, died of wounds, Aug. 19, 1864.

Stephen Morris, died March 5, 1864.

David McCann, killed June 16, 1863.

George Owens, died April 20, 1864.

James E. Proctor, died May 15, 1864.

Alfred W. Phillips, died Feb. 21, 1865.

Thomas Simon, killed May 15, 1864.

Theodore Vance, died April 19, 1863.

James Wheeler, died Aug. 10, 1863.

Joseph Wheat, died Aug. 28, 1863.

Company K.

First Lieut. Eugene Egbert, died Dec. (no date given), 1864.

Edwin Branch, died Nov. 16, 1863.

John L. Burt, killed, June 22, 1864.

Frank Bloss, killed July 20, 1864.

Lemuel O. Chamberlin, killed May 15, 1864.

Hirum H. Cummings, killed May 14, 1864.

John Fisher, killed, May 25, 1864.

Richard Gay, killed July 20, 1864.

Erastus E. Haskill, died June 19, 1864.

John W. Hapeman, died Aug. 1863.

Godfrey Lenhart, killed May 15, 1864.

Andrew J. McCann, died (time and place not known).

Ephraim Miller, died of wounds, Dec. 16, 1864.

John March, died of wounds, Dec. 7, 1864.

Michael McMann, died Feb. 6, 1865.

Daniel R. Olty, died Aug. 7, 1863

William Steinlein, killed May 15, 1864.

(The above information was obtained from the History of Steuben County New York, by Prof. W. W. Clayton, 1879. Pages 127-131.)

Back To Steuben County

If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 11, 2020