Biographies from Hebron, Clara, and Pleasant
Submitted by Barb Hyde
Potter Co., PA
Return to Potter Index
SQUIRE ESTES, farmer, P.O. Oswayo, was born September
16, 1843. His parents were George G. Estes, born in Massachusetts,
September 7, 1800, and Polly Brizzee Estes, born near Albany, N.Y.,
October 25, 1807. The parents both moved to Broome county, N.Y., where
they were married in the town of Colesville, Broome Co., N.Y., December
26, 1826. They moved to Sharon, Potter Co., Penn., in the spring of
1832, where the father kept one of the first schools in the township.
George G. Estes died February 16, 1863. Square Estes was reared in
Potter county, and received a practical business education at the
district schools. He lived with his father and worked on the farm
until August, 1864, when he enlisted in the defense of the Union during
the war of the Rebellion, and served until the close, when he returned
to his native home, and has since been engaged in farming. He is one
of the prominent citizens of Hebron township, and has served fifteen
years as justice of the peace. He is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No.
342, F. & A.M. Mr. Estes was married August 27, 1871, to Miss
Clancy Pearsall, of Ceres, McKean county, and they have one son, John
L. F. GALE, farmer, P.O. Oswayo, is a native of the
State of New York, born in the town of Scio, Allegany county, August
21, 1842, and is a son of Franklin and Almira Gale. When he was quite
young his parents moved to Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., where
he was reared, remaining at home until manhood, and assisting his
father on the farm. He bought a farm in Hebron township in 1869, and
has improved it, now having one of the best farms in the township.
Mr. Gale was married May 28, 1865, to Miss Belinda Lord, of Oswayo.
She died March 15, 1882, and November 12, 1888, he married Miss Frankie
Robison, of Eldred, Penn., Mr. Gale has served his township in various
GEORGE N. HEAD, farmer and, lumberman, P.O. Oswayo,
is a native of the town of Oswayo, Potter Co., Penn., born July 8,1856,
a son of Charles Head. When he was sixteen years old he began to work
for his own support, and has given his attention to farming and lumbering.
He has been successful, and now has a fine residence in the village
of Oswayo. Mr. Head was married July 8, 1876, to Miss Fannie Ellis,
of Allegheny, Penn., and they have four children: Clarence Z., born
April 8, 1877; Ella M., born October 16, 1882; Mary C., born March
10, 1886, and Musa S., born June 22, 1889.
CHARLES A. LAMBERTON, farmer, P.O. Oswayo, is a native
of Potter county, Penn., born in Hebron township, a son of H. S. and
Charlotte D. Lamberton, natives of the State of New York who came
to Potter county in 1850, and had a family of three children: B. H.,
Charles A. and Ada M. (now the wife of Hervey Wakeley, of Clara, Penn.).
The mother died March 3, 1887. The father owns a large farm, which
is carried on by the sons, who care for their father. They have one
of the best farms in the township, their residence and farm buildings
are commodious and convenient, and they are among the enterprising
young men of the township.
MORRIS LENT, farmer, P.O. Coudersport, son of Harry
and Annie (Smith) Lent, was born in Bradford county, Penn., in 1832.
His parents came to Potter county in the spring of 1835, located in
Allegheny township, three miles from the nearest neighbor, and engaged
in farming; in 1839 they moved into Eulalia township, where they spent
the rest of their lives. They reared a family of eight children: Joseph,
Jane (Mrs. VanWegen), Morris, Harriet (Mrs. Greenaman), William B.,
Augusta (deceased), Edmund and Hiram. Harry Lent died in 1866, and
his widow in 1869. Morris Lent made his home with his parents until
twenty-one years of age, when, in 1853, he married Catherine E. Van
Gilder and located in Eulalia, but removed in 1866 to the farm he
now owns in Hebron township. In 1864 he enlisted in Company I, Seventy-sixth
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered out in 1865. Returning home
he engaged in farming and the lumber business. Mr. and Mrs. Morris
Lent reared two children: Frank J. and Cora M. Of these, Frank J.
married Minnie E. Rogers, who died, leaving one child, Clintie R.;
Frank J. next married Libbie Bundy; Cora M. Lent, was married to James
Graves, of Sweden township. Mr. Morris Lent has held various official
positions in his township, and is a member of the G.A.R. When young
he saw some very close times. In 1837 his father worked two days haying
for one bushel of corn, but, living in the woods as the family did,
they had plenty of venison for meat. Soon neighbors began to come
in. Chapman Olmsted moved into the house with Mr. Lent's, parents,
and remained until they could build a log-house; then Nathaniel Reynolds
did the same; Asa Reynolds did the same; Peter Shuts did the same;
George Judd did the same; Woodard Reynolds boarded with the Lent family
until he could build himself a log-house, and a man by the name of
Ketcham came next, and then a schoolhouse was built.
H. W. PRESS, farmer, P.O. East Hebron, was born at
Shinglehouse, Penn., March 6, 1852. His father, John Press, was a
native of England, and came to the United States, locating at Shinglehouse
in 1848. He died in August, 1888, and his wife, Charlotte, died March
13, 1882, at the age of fifty-eight. Mr. Press was reared in his native
township, and remained on the farm with his parents until April 2,
1882, when he moved to Oswayo and rented a hotel, which he conducted
a year. He bought a farm in Hebron township to which he moved April
2, 1883, and has since devoted his attention to agriculture. Mr. Press
was married, September 18, 1876, to Miss Rosa Hamilton, of Nunda,
N.Y., and they have three children.
JOHN SCHOLLARD, merchant, East Hebron, was born in
Coudersport, Penn., July 27, 1852, of Irish parentage. His father
was born in the city of Limerick, Ireland, in 1787, and his mother
was born in County Kerry. They were married in Maine in 1847, and
afterward, moved to Coudersport, where the father died, in 1853. The
mother then married, in 1860, Patrick Shannon, and they soon thereafter
moved to a farm in Hebron township. John Schollard was reared and
educated in Coudersport, and worked for his stepfather on the farm
until after his marriage. In 1883 he bought a stock of merchandise
of W.F. Lane, at East Hebron, and in 1885 purchased of Weston Brothers
the business property where he is now located. Mr. Schollard is one
of the most enterprising men of East Hebron,, and has built up a trade
that is an honor to his business ability. He was married, March 20,
1879, to Miss C.A. Booth, and they have four children: Theodore E.
B., Katie, Maggie and Hugh.
G. W. STILLMAN, farmer, P.O. Hebron, was born in Rensselaer
county, N.Y., April 15, 1815, and is the son of George and Britty
Stillman, both natives of Rensselaer county, N.Y., but who moved to
Alfred, Allegany county, same state, when G.W. was an infant. When
G.W. was seventeen years of age his parents moved to Potter county,
Penn., being among the first settlers of Hebron township. He was reared
a farmer, and now has one of the best farms in the township, his residence
and farm buildings being commodious and conveniently arranged. January
1, 1838, Mr. Stillman married Miss Electa Greenman, who died January
23, 1859. June 1, 1862, Mr. Stillman married Miss Mary A. Greenman,
a sister of his first wife. His daughter, Mary L. Stillman, was born
February 21, 1841, and died June 2, 1881.
L. A. STILSON, P.O. Oswayo, was born in Woodhull, Steuben
Co., N.Y., May 26, 1836, the second son of eleven children born to
Calvin S. and Allie (Huff) Stilson, natives of New York State, who
came to Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1853. He spent his
boyhood days with his parents on the farm, and May 12, 1860, he married
Miss Louisa, a daughter of William M. and Minerva (Clark) Shattuck,
of Oswayo township, who were among the first settlers of Oswayo township.
Five children have blessed this union, viz.: William M., Arlie B.,
Minnie J., Walter L. and Freddie J. In 1865 Mr. Stilson purchased
the farm where he now resides.
ISAAC WHITTUM, of East Hebron, was born in Somerset
county, Penn., March 12, 1823. His parents being in limited circumstances,
his educational advantages were very meager. When twelve years old,
he went to work for a farmer, remaining with him for three years,
and then was in the employment of a physician three years. He then
worked in a shingle-mill until twenty-five years of age, when he entered
the employ of the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad Company.
In 1859 he removed to Potter county, and September 8, 1861, enlisted
in Company G, Sixty-fourth New York Infantry. June 30, 1862, in front
of Richmond, he was sunstruck, and was left on the field for dead.
He was captured at Savage Station, and was a prisoner nine weeks.
At Chancellorsville, in 1863, he was struck by a shell, and his left
ear was severed from his head. May 12, 1863, a bullet struck him in
the-right eye, and the ball has never been removed, being still in
his head. December 27, 1864, he was discharged from the service and
returned to East Hebron, where he has since, lived, an honored veteran,
who bears many scars received in the defense of his country' s honor.
Back to Top
IRA FOSMER, farmer, P.O. Clara, is a native of Onondaga
county, N.Y., born December 29, 1819. He attended the schools of his
native county until thirteen years of age, and in 1832 his parents
moved to Hinsdale, N.Y., and from there in 1833 to Potter county,
Penn., settling on the farm in Clara township, where he now lives,
which is one of the best farms in the township. Mr. Fosmer was married,
January 8, 1846, to Miss Lydia Lyman, and they have five children:
Foster, Flora, Freeman, Nettie and Jackson. Mr. Fosmer is a member
of the Masonic fraternity, Macedonia Lodge, No. 258, at Bolivar, N.Y.
He has held various official positions in his township, taking an
active interest in public affairs. Garet Fosmer, father of Ira Fosmer,
was born in the State of Connecticut, July 23, 1796, and died in Clara
township, Potter Co., Penn., January 23, 1868. He married, in 1818,
Miss Lovina Skelenger, of Onondaga county, N.Y. John Lyman, the father
of Mrs. Lydia Fosmer, was born at Lake George, N.Y., July 7, 1789,
and died in 1882 in Eulalia township, Potter Co., Penn., having lived
the greater part of his life in Roulette township, and married for
his first wife a Miss Lucretia Palmer.
FREDERICK D. WEIMER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of
George and Eve Weimer, was born in Roulette township, Potter Co.,
Penn., August 12, 1832. His father was a native of France and came
to America in 1836, locating in Roulette township, near the mouth
of Fishing creek, just below the red school-house. The country was
wild, and he had to clear his farm, and at that time had to go eighty
miles to mill, the nearest being at Jersey Shore; being gone at one
time longer than he had expected, his family were compelled to subsist
on potatoes and salt. On this farm the parents made their home until
death. They had a family of eighteen children, viz.: George, Eve (deceased),
Michael (deceased), Mrs. Barbara Barr, Mrs. Margaret Manning, Mrs.
Sally Jackson, Barnett (deceased), Martin (deceased), Frederick D.,
Mrs. Catherine Jackson (deceased), Mrs. Caroline D. Davison (deceased),
William, Mrs. Dorcas Marsh, John V., Mrs. Julia A. Tompkins (deceased),
Mrs. Luzerne Hazen (deceased), Catherine (a babe born in Europe and
buried at sea) and Jacob (who died when a child). Frederick D. remained
at home until he went to learn the blacksmith's trade, after which
he located in Roulette, and engaged in that business until 1875, when
he removed to Clara township, where he purchased the farm he now owns
and occupies. He has since then been a farmer, blacksmith, carpenter,
mason, lumberman, etc., doing all kinds of work required on his farm.
He married, in 1859, Anna, daughter of C. W. and Louisa Johnson, of
Roulette, and their children were Ortenis and Don F. (both deceased),
Ali and Ortenis. Mr. Weimer is a supporter of the Democratic party.
He has been a school director nearly three-fourths of the time since
old enough to be interested in educational matters.
PLEASANT VALLEY TOWNSHIP
Back to Top
ISRAEL BURT, farmer, P.O. Williston, a son of Benjamin
and Mercy Burt, was born in Burtville, Potter Co., Penn., in 1816.
He made his home with his parents until about 1837, when he began
life for himself. In 1842 he married Delight Beckwith, and located
at Burtville, where they remained ten years, he being engaged in the
lumber business. In 1852 he removed to Pleasant Valley, to the farm
he now owns, and where he has since lived. Their children are Lydia
A. (Mrs. Elmer Deming), Ransom, Mary A. (Mrs. D.M. Manning), Etta
(Mrs. Ernest Lampe), Asher, Olive (Mrs. David Hagar), Ormanda (Mrs.
George Hackett) and Effie (Mrs. Luther Halbert). Mr. Burt is one of
the few surviving pioneers of the county, and is highly esteemed by
all who know him. Although not a politician, he has held various official
positions in his township.
GEORGE WEIMER, farmer, P.O. Williston, son of George
and Margaret (Lehman) Weimer, was born in Alsace, France (now Germany),
November 27, 1816. In 1830 he came to America with his parents, who
located at Roulette, Potter county, where they engaged in farming
and spent the rest of their lives; their children were George and
Eve. His father' s second wife was Eve Wiederich, and their children
were Michael, Barbara, Mrs. Margaret Manning, Mrs. Sally Jackson,
William A., Frederick, John and Mrs. Dorcas Marsh. The subject of
these lines made his home with his parents until nineteen years of
age, when he began to work for farmers, and in 1836 bought a tract
of wild land on which he located in 1842. This he cleared and improved,
and now has one of the best farms in Pleasant Valley township. He
was married in 1842, to Laura, daughter of Burrel Lyman. Their children
are Sarah (Mrs. Roscoe Stearns), Otis, Willis, Ella (Mrs. Dr. Stearns,
of Port Allegany, Penn.), Mary (Mrs. F. Robinson, of Liberty township,
McKean county), Nellie (Mrs. Amos Palmer, also of Liberty township),
Nettie (Mrs. Lewis Yentzer, of Roulette, Penn.), Lottie (Mrs. Miles
Rice, also of Roulette), and Roscoe. Mrs. Weimer died in 1884. In
politics Mr. Weimer is a Democrat. In 1836 he bought corn at $3 per
bushel, which was brought on pack horses eighty miles from Jersey
Shore, and paid for it in cutting wood at seventy-five cents per day.