SITE OF STEAM WORKS
Contributed by PHGS
Steamburg was named from the number of steam works in operation there and is situated south-west of the center, on the A.&G.W.R.R. (later the Erie) and in 1874 contained two hotels, four groceries, a wagon shop, shoe shop, blacksmith shop, spoke and hub factory, sawmill and about 75 inhabitants.
Settlement was commenced in 1819 by Nathan CROOK, who came from Orange Co., Vt., and the following year erected the first sawmill in the town. In 1820, he was joined by his father Charles CROOK and two brothers, Charles Jr. and Ira, also from Orange Co. and Joshua BARNES from Massachusetts. William EARL, a native of New Jersey, came in from Genesee County in 1821. Eastman PRESCOTT and his father settled on the site of Steamburg and Isaac MORRILL in the north-west part, in the same year.
Milton HELMS, a native of Connecticut, moved in from Otsego County in 1826. The first birth was that of Martha, daughter of Charles CROOK Jr., in the spring of 1823. The first school was taught in the summer of 1831 by Miss E. SANFORD. The first inn and store were kept in 1822 by Philemus HALL.
The first religious services were held by the Congregationalists in 1823, under the direction of Rev. Wm. J. WILCOX.
In 1892, the village of Steamburg had over 150 inhabitants, the Railroad depot, post office, school, two general stores, two hotels, a saw and planing mill, shoe shop, two blacksmith shops, meat market, the Union Free church, town hall and physician's office.
The first settler on the site was Eastman PRESCOTT, who came at an early day, but no effort to found a village was made until after the completion of the railroad. Up to that time, village of Cold Spring (on the Allegany River) had become famous as a lumbering center, but with the building of the railroad, its principal business interests were diverted to Steamburg, which gradually assumed a position of considerable importance as a lumber town.
Meletiah PRICE, it is said, erected the first frame building in the village. The first blacksmith was probably a Mr. GEER. The first store in Steamburg was erected in 1856 by Freedom JEFFORDS and kept by Howard FULLER and B.G. CASLER. The second one, built in 1871 by E. L. LYON, was kept by Robert CARSON and the third, built in 1873 by Franklin JACKSON and occupied by the NUTTING brothers.
The first hotel, the A.&G.W. House, was built by Moses B. WELLS in 1864. His successor as landlord, was Dana GROUT. Mr. WELLS again took it a year later and changed its name to the Travelers' Home. In 1867 he closed it and the following year, it was reopened by Alpha FLAGG and Howard WRIGHT as the Steamburgh House, by which name it was known for many years. The succeeding proprietors have been Alpha FLAGG, H.K. WHELPLEY, Mr. FLAGG again, Horace S. FREDERICK, Chauncey EARL, Mr. FLAGG, Henry STAPLES, and finally MR. FLAGG who closed it July 1, 1892 and occupied it as a dwelling until he traded it with Floyd EDDY in 1910 for farm property in Hotchkiss Hollow.
Back to Cattaraugus County
If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 2, 2020